Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Supper




In my world, Sundays are reserved for relaxing and trying new recipes.  During the week I am often pressed for time and feeling a little low on energy come five o’ clock.  But, on Sundays I like to cook from scratch and experiment with new ingredients. 

Recently I made my own ravioli with… wait for it… wonton wrappers!  They were delicious.  I was inspired by a recipe from Sunset Magazine.  I wasn’t quite sure how the recipe would pan out, but I would definitely make these again.  I look forward to experimenting with new fillings and toppings!  Perhaps I will sub in a little butternut squash & burrata next time?

All in all the ravioli required less time & work than anticipated (approximately 1 hour -including prep time).  I think this would be a fun family dinner project… making ravioli from scratch (kind of).

Cheese Ravioli
Serves 4

1 cup ricotta
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup finely chopped flat- leaf parsley, plus ½ cup leaves
1 large egg
About ½ tsp kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
48 round wonton wrappers
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice 

{To make the ravioli filling combine cheeses, chopped parsley, egg, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.}

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Lay 8 wrappers on a flat surface and spoon 1 tablespoon cheese mixture onto center of each.  Working with one wrapper at a time, moisten edge with water and top with another wrapper, press to seal tightly.

Transfer ravioli to a greased baking sheet, cover, and repeat to make more ravioli.  Preheat oven to 250F.

Cook 4 to 5 ravioli at a time in boiling water until dough is tender, 3 minutes.  Transfer to greased baking sheet in a single layer, cover with foil, and keep warm in oven.

Meanwhile, make sauce: Melt butter in large frying pan over medium- high heat.  Cook, swirling until light- golden, three minutes.

Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and parsley leaves.  Layer ravioli and sauce on platter. 

Serve!

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to try making ravioli with wonton wrappers since Giada shared a recipe on her show! YUM

    ReplyDelete